Welcome to our Adventure...

We packed up the kids, dog and the trailer and headed out for adventure, learning and helping others. During our adventure we will try to update this site as often as possible to keep everyone interested involved in our travels and to keep a journal for ourselves. The plan is to be working, schooling, helping and sharing on the road for a year.
Please feel free to post comments and questions! Thanks for following!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

I'm Melting...

Overdramatic, I know, but we are kind of done with this heat. It took a small effort to be thankful for the fact that we aren't having any damaging or destructive weather, just uncomfortable.

The morning started out with me stepping outside into a very eerie picture. The fog was very thick and there is a tall corn field right behind our trailer. Gave me the chills. Sky wanted to go with me to take Heidi for her walk so I let him. We walked down by the river that borders the campground and it was so foggy there that you couldn't see the water even when you were less than 10 feet away from it. It really kind of hurt my eyes because I think I was trying to focus and see what I couldn't see. It was already above 80 degrees and very humid. Sky picked up a stick which he perceived to be a good walking stick and was doubly thrilled to find that someone had made it into a fishing rod. There was line attached to it with a unique vertical bobber and a big rusty hook. He was SO excited and couldn't wait to try fishing. I told him he'd have to wait until someone could come back with him and I really didn't want to.

Brighton and Spencer took him back to the river's edge later in the morning and while the fog had burned off by then and the fish were jumping all around them, they didn't have a single bite.

The three older kids were shocked when I asked them to do a math lesson after the last two and a half weeks off, but they managed to dust the cobwebs off their brains enough to remember what they were doing way back then. ;o)

I dreaded cooking inside today, but had to make use of the meals we'd purchased ingredients for, so I raised the temperature inside the trailer by over 10 degrees when making our chicken nuggets for lunch.

Brock had a very busy work schedule today preparing to take tomorrow off so that we can go visit the Creation Museum. Since he had an important client meeting at 3 pm, the kids and I hopped into the Yukon and drove the mile up the road to the campground pool. In this heat, it was very refreshing, although it was very crowded, cloudy and borderline green. It wasn't the cleanest pool we've swam in, but we aren't complaining too much. It felt really good.

After around an hour and a half at the pool, the kids were actually ready to go. The sinus pressure of their retreating colds was a little painful when they tried to go underwater. At the end of our time, Sky threw a dive stick out for Spencer to retrieve and the water was so murky that Spencer couldn't find it. I was ready to just leave it, but Brighton gave it one last try and came up with it. It had rolled far away from where Sky had sunk it and off into a corner. I think Bri used some kind of underwater grid search pattern to locate it and I was impressed.

We came back to the trailer right about as Brock was finishing up his call; it went a little longer than expected. The kids all plugged themselves into their electronic devices for a little quiet time.

I heated up the trailer again with a spaghetti dinner. (I'll have to try to come up with some meals that my family will eat that are good for hot weather before our next shopping trip.)

I felt a little bad sending the kids to bed in their bunk room as it was even hotter than the main living area of the trailer. Our air conditioner works hard, but can't quite keep up on days like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment